Translate

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The Big Comfy Couch - "Liar Liar" (video clip & song)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on the children's taunt ""Liar liar pants on fire".

This post showcases a YouTube video clip from a 1994 episode entitled "Liar Liar" from the Canadian children's series "The Big Comfy Couch" which features the song "Liar Liar". The lyrics of that song are included in that post along with selected comments from that video's discussion thread.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/05/a-non-political-compilation-of.html for Part I of this series. Part I provides general information about and a possible early source of the taunt "Liar liar pants on fire". This post also compiles multiple non-political versions of this saying are found on the internet.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who were/are involved with the Canadian children's television series. Thanks to the composer/s of this song and thanks to Fred Stinson, the actor/singer in this show's video clip and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.
-snip-
Although this series doesn't include any political references, I was definitely motivated to research and publish it because of certain current political figures in the United States.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT "THE BIG COMFY COUCH" TELEVISION SERIES
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Comfy_Couch
"The Big Comfy Couch was a Canadian preschool television series about Loonette the Clown and her doll Molly, who solve everyday problems on their Big Comfy Couch. It aired from 1992 until 2006. It was produced by Cheryl Wagner and Robert Mills, directed by Wayne Moss, Robert Mills and Steve Wright. It premiered on March 2, 1992 in Canada and in February 1995 in the USA on public television stations across the country.

Production
The show was originally produced by Radical Sheep Productions and Owl Television, then Canadian children's television network YTV and WITF-TV Harrisburg, with a run of 65 episodes. In 2002, 13 new episodes were produced with Benny Smart, an American children's television production company, Tadpole TV and Treehouse TV, a companion channel of YTV, and Nashville Public Television.

From 1992 to 1996 and 2002, the show was filmed at Wallace Avenue Studios in Toronto, and in 2006, it has been filmed at Toronto's Studio City.

Radical Sheep Productions and Amity Entertainment, in association with Treehouse TV and Nashville Public Television, produced 22 additional episodes, which debuted on American Public Television in 2006.

[...]

Characters
Loonette
Loonette is the lead character, portrayed by Alyson Court from 1992-2002 and Ramona Gilmour-Darling in 2006. She is a young clown living with her doll, Molly, on the eponymous Big Comfy Couch, an over-sized couch.

She frequently reads stories to Molly, always performs a Clock Rug Stretch, and likes to visit Granny Garbanzo. Auntie Macassar or Uncle Chester frequently send Loonette postcards which Major Bedhead delivers on his unicycle. Her Parents are never seen or mentioned. Loonette is gifted in the art of classical dance and runs Miss Loonette's Dance Academy. Another gift she possesses is the unusual ability to clean just about any mess up in ten seconds, which she calls the Ten Second Tidy.

Originally, Loonette was too bossy even when Molly didn't like it, and she was too young to visit Clowntown, but starting from 2006, Loonette makes frequent trips to Clowntown to visit Granny Garbanzo's Cabbage Club Cooking School and Major Bedhead's Clown Chi Dojo and Dancing School. The trips to this second location indicates that she practices martial arts. Loonette also takes Molly to Clowndergarten and helps out with the other young clowns. This third location is similar to kindergarten.

Molly
Molly is Loonette's doll. Loonette found her in a barrel with a sign marked "Free to a good home", and adopted her. She is puppetered by Bob Stutt.

[...]

Major Bedhead (Fred Stinson): The local clown courier who makes deliveries to Loonette from her Auntie Macassar or Uncle Chester. Can be quite goofy at times and a bit clumsy. He also dislikes lying and being dishonest, seen in the episode "Pants on Fire".

Auntie Macassar (Taborah Johnson): Loonette's travelling aunt who likes to make an entrance whenever she visits. Appears in Seasons 1–5. Her name is a pun on antimacassar.

Season 3: 1994[edit]
309 – Pants On Fire- Loonette learns the importance of telling the truth and not to lie. (This episode can be seen as a segment in the video "Kids for Character: Choices Count".)"

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Big Comfy Couch - Liar Liar



thecoppercrow Uploaded on Jul 26, 2006

****
LYRICS - "LIAR LIAR" (from "The Big Comfy Couch")
(composer ?)

Well, I shake my bones
and I shake them well
When I’m lying you know you can tell

[chorus]
Liar liar pants on fire
hangin from a telephone wire
squirming squirming pants are burning
when I lie my hips start turning

Well I wiggle up
And I wiggle down
See me twitch ‘cause I’m a fibbin clown
Shake shake shake baby
shake your body higher
Shake shake shake baby
You can tell that I’m a liar

Liar liar pants on fire
Hanging from a telephone wire
Squirming squirming pants are burnin’
When I lie my hips start turnin’

The cat puppet sings:
[Squirm, squirm, squirm
Squirm, squirm, squirm]

Liar liar pants on fire
hanging from a telephone wire
Squirming squirming pants are burnin’
When I lie my hips start turnin’

Liar liar pants on fire
hangin from a telephone wire

-snip-
Transcribed from the video clip by Azizi Powell. Additions and corrections are welcome.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD
These comments are numbered for referencing purposes only.

2007
1. Dynette Duckie
"I remember watching this when I was little, then going to school and singing it with my friends, ahhh good times, good times :P"

**
2. blackandredconverses
"hahahaha.. since when has Major Bedhead gyrated his hips like that? I dont think the kiddies would pick the sexualness up, but that was verrrry funny."

**
3. Matthew Austin
"Before she lied, Loonette makes the mistake by breaking Granny Garbanzo's mailbox."

**
4. Kurt Dadivas
"how come her aunt is black like cmon yo"

**
Reply
5. Shane Eatalottapuss, 2008
"Well you know...it's canadian..I'm just kidding I'm not racist...but it seriously canadian..."

****
2008
6. Xoie Henkle
"4 letters:
ROFL"

**
7. Jody Coady
"my 3 year old son LOVES this clip....This show is hilarious, glad it came back."

**
8. badluckshadow13
"I watched it all the time and yes I do believe his pant were on fire... isn't the creepiest part that he was supposed to be an adult and loonette a kid?"

**
9. spyrolivia
"Do you think his dancing is child appropriate? xD We are talking about a show for kids in kindergarten here! xDDD hahaha"

**
10. Marie Soleil
"this is the funniest coolest thing ive seen! haha. i used to love this show, now i remember why."

**
11. Homeslice789
"a little inappropiat 4 kids"

**
12. Davie Doom
"Is it just me or is that dance a little risque???

~That song still sticks with me till this day"

****
2009
13. KaBrea Welch
"OMG I had this on tape when I was little and for some reason to this day I still remember this song. LOL and I'm bout to be a junior in high school."

****
2010
14. Erich Baumann
"Man, this is one of the fiew scenes i remember from this show! Just watched it like 7 times in one night, shake your groove thing bedhead, lol"

**
15. Erich Baumann
"And btw, this technically counts as appropriate for younger kids, cause without at least a vague notion of adult concepts, this is just a dance and a song about lying"

**
16. itsreallynotacat
"I distinctly remember watching this episode when I was younger...and singing what I thought was the song....but I pretty much just improvised and kept singing about the squirming...worming...lying pants."

**
17. Marie Soleil
"Imagine if this actually happened when you lied? Most people would be break dancing and whatever on the streets haha."

**
18. Vancar9397
"To MaddieCrunk:
IMAGINE kids dancing like him??..Haven't you ever seen like a 9 year old, even a 6 year old dancing like this?!..If you have haven't-WOW. I see it all the time.. o.O"

****
2011
19. Vladimir Rosenthorn
"THis is all i was able to remember from this show. The song has stuck with me since i was 4 years old ..or some other age"

**
20. Doctor Mcbongo
"Probably the catchiest song that was ever on this show."

**
21. dav qc
"Mad rhymes yo"

**
22. etong2002001
"Liar, liar pants on fire...?
I don't care, keep my hair, just go buy another pair!"

****
2012
23. SweetBitterJoy
"i saw this video when i was like 6 and to this day whenever i hear "liar liar pants on fire" i think of this song xD

**
24. glo
"I used to watch this show and love it, I had a casette of this song and I would sing along to it everyday I thought it said "Liar liar pants on fire hanging for a telephone wire, squirming squirming pants are burnin' when the yellow hips are turning." I listen to this know and know the RIGHT lyrics and crack up at what i thought it said."
-snip-
*“know” typo for “now”

**
25. Kristalmelinafan
"Lol i beg my grandma when i was little to order this tape for me lol. I use to play this song to death. now i sing this to my kids when they lie lol."

****
2013
26. Crystal Waters
"I still sing this song when I know someone's lying, after... 6 years? Yup"

**
27. Bec
"His hips don't lie"

**
28. the one man band 31698
"I thought the chorus was bad ass when I was a kid"

****
2014
29. wellschristopher16
"Now that I'm older, I realize how hilarious this is! Oh nostalgia...."

****
This concludes Part II of this two part series on "liar liar pants on fire".

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment